Investa Oxford Property Partners (OIPP) announced this week that it has been awarded WELL Certification at the Platinum level for Barrack Place, 151 Clarence Street, Sydney (‘Barrack Place’), by the International WELL Building Institute™ (IWBI™). The Platinum rating was achieved for the exceptional performance of the design, construction and operation of the building in supporting the health, wellbeing and comfort of the thousands of people who work and visit Barrack Place every day.
Developed by Investa for Oxford Investa Property Partners (OIPP), Barrack Place already held the title of Australia’s first ever WELL Core & Shell Precertified Gold building, achieved in 2017. This upgrade to a Platinum rating is a reflection of Investa’s dedication to innovation and industry leading developments. The 22,000 square metre, 23-level tower which was completed in late 2018 is tenanted by major companies including Arup, Mills Oakley, Pfizer and Washington H Soul Pattinson and accommodates approximately 2,000 people.
Created through seven years of rigorous research and development with leading physicians, scientists, and industry professionals, the WELL Building Standard™ is a global, performance-based certification system that marries best practices in design and construction with evidence-based scientific research. Barrack Place earned the Platinum rating based on seven categories of building performance, being Air, Water, Light, Nourishment, Fitness, Comfort and Mind, translating to a myriad of health and wellness benefits for occupants of the building. The rating was verified via rigorous testing and a final evaluation by independent certification body, Green Business Certification Inc, to ensure it met all WELL Certified™ Platinum performance requirements.
Mark Tait, Group Executive & Head of Commercial Development at Investa said: “We are very proud of Barrack Place receiving this prestigious award, securing Platinum level is a testament to the hard work and dedication undertaken by the wider project team, in particular our partners at Built for pursing this ambitious target and additionally to Barrack Place’s bulding management team, who assisted in the performance verification from an operational perspective.
From the earliest design stages of Barrack Place, the emphasis was on creating a building that promoted health and wellbeing for tenants with Investa incorporating leading international sustainability practices to achieve this. WELL initiatives were integrated into the building infrastructure upfront, providing direct benefits to tenants and ensuring efficiencies and better environmental performance for future fit-outs.
Design and construction features that helped Barrack Place achieve the WELL Certified™ Platinum level rating include;
- Advanced air filtration throughout the building with an air flush conducted to reduce pollutants and particulate matter, providing enchanced comfort and improved air quality for tenants;
- Achievement of a 6 Star Green Star Rating;
- The building’s access to mass transit which enables optimal access to alternate transport options;
- A high performing lighting design across the entire building, with the inclusion of an Organic Response system, which aims to minimize disruption to the body’s circadian system, enhance productivity, support the occupant’s ability to perform tasks in the space while contributing to the feeling of spaciousness;
- Limiting the detrimental effects of construction on health and improving the health of onsite workers;
Operational activities that contributed to the rating include;
- A comprehensive cleaning program across the building with a focus on reducing harmful products and eliminating the risk of pests;
- Providing contractor education and extending wellness offerings to the contractor team (both during construction and on an ongoing basis;
- Promotion of nutritional messaging to occupants throughout the building to encourage healthier eating.
Investa was also rewarded for their organisational transparency and leadership and their involvement in the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI).
“Congratulations to Investa for achieving the highest level of WELL Certification at ‘Barrack Place’ in Sydney," said IWBI Chairman and CEO Rick Fedrizzi.
“Investa’s innovative and ambitious approach to integrating health and well-being elevated their level of achievement from WELL Precertified Gold to WELL Certified Platinum, demonstrating their leading role in providing a healthy space for everyone who visits the building.”
To find out more about Barrack Place, please visit barrackplace.com.au